Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Another Place in Time by Mary Lydon Simonsen

I have the great pleasure of having my friend and author Mary Simonsen on the blog today. She brings with her an amusing interview with Mr. Darcy in regards to her latest release, Another Place in Time.

Hi, Jakki. It’s good to be back at Leatherbound Reviews. Recently, I had the opportunity to visit with Mr. Darcy in connection with the release of Another Place in Time. Here is the blurb from the back jacket:

In the time-travel romance, Another Place in Time, Fitzwilliam Darcy learns of the existence of Elizabeth Bennet from Hannah and Jacob Caswell, time travelers from the twenty-first century. When Darcy’s offer of marriage is rejected at Hunsford Parsonage, the Caswells advise Darcy to visit the future and seek the assistance of an expert on Jane Austen and the Regency Era.

When Darcy arrives in Baltimore in 2012, he finds Christine O’Malley serving on a panel at a Jane Austen conference. Although his arrival is a crowd pleaser, Chris is upset that an “actor” impersonating Mr. Darcy has stolen the show. After a rocky start, Chris agrees to go with Darcy to the past to help him sort out the mess with Elizabeth.

While plans are being made for Darcy to capture the heart and hand of Elizabeth Bennet, Chris, who has experienced her own heartache, finds she is falling for Darcy’s cousin, Colonel Fitzwilliam. With her sensibilities firmly rooted in the future, will Chris be able to find happiness with a man who occupies another place in time?

And now, let’s meet Mr. Darcy.

Mary: “Mr. Darcy, after having read about you since I was a teenager, I am thrilled to meet you.”

Mr. Darcy: “Thank you for having me on your blog. I believe that is the standard response for these venues.”

Mary: “You sound as if you have been listening to National Public Radio—‘thanks for having me on.’”

Darcy: “Ah, yes, NPR! I love Science Friday with Ira Flatow.”

Mary: (Mary smiles.) “When you arrived in Baltimore two years ago, what was your first impression of modern-day life in America?”

Darcy: “Astonishment! There was so much to take in and enjoy: skyscrapers, cell phones, automobiles, airplanes, subways, comfortable clothes, under garments, Coca-Cola, fudge.”

Mary: “I understand you are particularly fond of pizza.”

Darcy: “Pizza! “I love pizza! Tony from Tony’s Pizza in Fell’s Point was kind enough to give me his recipe for tomato sauce and making pizza dough. My cook has become a pizza proficient.”

Mary: “Have you been traveling back and forth from past to future?”

Darcy: “Yes. Georgiana and I have been to the future twice to shop and visit with friends.”

Mary: “Elizabeth didn’t come?”

Darcy: “My dear wife remains at Pemberley with our first born. She—”

Mary: “You and Elizabeth had a baby!”

Darcy: “Well, I did not have a baby! (Darcy laughs.) Our son, Thomas Fitzwilliam, is now eight months old and is starting to pull himself up on the furniture. Elizabeth would very much like to come to the future, but she will not leave Thomas nor will she bring him with her. She is quite the mother hen.”

Mary: “Speaking of family… How are things at Longbourn?”

Darcy: “You cannot fool me, Mary. You wish to know how I get on with my mother-in-law. I shall say, ‘well enough.’ When the Bennets visit, and they all do visit at the one time, I find that the estate takes up a good deal of my attention. Whilst riding around Pemberley, I am often in the company of Mr. Bennet.”

Mary: “When you return to London, what will you take with you?”

Darcy: “Bathroom tissue is a must. As I arrived in Baltimore on the eve of a ferocious snowstorm, I found myself in the grocery story fighting over toilet tissue with a rather stout woman. I explained that in a matter of days, she could have all the toilet tissue she wanted; whereas, I, as a time traveler, did not have that luxury. She told me to… Well, I shall leave that to your imagination. I also bought a camera and film. Much to my delight, I have been told there is no reason why a camera will not work in the nineteenth century. Speaking of the past, I must take my leave as I am scheduled to depart this evening for London.”

Mary: “Thank you for agreeing to speak with me today. When Thomas is a little older, perhaps Elizabeth will agree to travel to the future. I would love to meet her.”

Darcy: “I shall give Elizabeth your message. It has been a pleasure.”

Links:

To read an interview between Mary and Christine O’Malley, time-traveler, click here.

Read it now
 Nook       Kindle

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your interviews with both Mr. Darcy and Christine, Mary.
    Once, for about five minutes, I considered writing a novel in which P&P characters were brought forward to our century. I got in a bind trying to imagine their culture shock, so the idea was shelved.
    I'm delighted your pen dwelt on Darcy's time travel. Such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joanne. I had a lot of fun writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jakki. Thanks again for hosting me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Wonderful interview, Mary! I agree with Darcy! Bathroom tissue is a must! Sounds like a fantastic story! I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the interview with Mr. Darcy, Mary. I laughed when he had lots of estate business to attend when the Bennets visited. I can't wait to read this new book as I always enjoy anything you write. Thanks for continuing to write books for our enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Janet. I appreciate you stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this post! I just got this book and can't wait to have a minute to breath so I can read it. :)

    ReplyDelete