Friday, October 18, 2013

Review: The Seduction of Lady Phoebe by Ella Quinn


From the Publisher:
Polite society has its rules for marriage. But for Ella Quinn’s eligible bachelors, their brides will show them that rules are for the weak of heart…

Phoebe Stanhope is not a typical Lady. As feisty as she is quick witted, no one can catch her, especially when she is driving her dashing phaeton with its perfectly matched horses. And unlike her peers, experience has guarded her against a growing list of would-be suitors. But when she encounters Marcus Finley, what she fears most burns deep within his blue-eyed gaze…

For Lord Marcus, the spark of recognition is but a moment in the love he has held these many years. Now that he’s returned to England, all the happiness he desires rests on Lady Phoebe never finding out that he was the one who turned her heart so cold and distant. He must work fast to gain the advantage—to convince her what she wants is exactly what she denies—but in order to seduce her into his arms, he must be willing to give up more than he can control…

Review:
I relish when authors fashion unconventional heroines. Ms. Quinn does just this with Lady Phoebe, a well-dowered gentlewoman skilled in the finer arts of riding, pistol shooting, boxing, and small swords. Yet all of this bravado is only a cover for the painful memories buried on the inside. Phoebe’s young heart was broken when the one person she thought shared her progressive views turned out to be a presumptuous rogue. Now, eight years later, a charming knight-errant has rescued Phoebe, twice. What will happen when she discovers his true identity? Can Phoebe get past what happened when she was a youth and allow herself a chance at true love and unending happiness?


Though he may have been banished to the West Indies for the past eight years, a part of England has been far from his thoughts/a constant tattoo in his mind: Lady Phoebe. Now given a chance to play the archetypal role of knight-errant, Marcus Finley hopes his valiant efforts to erase that calamitous night from Phoebe’s mind will pay off. Like a true love-struck gentleman, Marcus applies his time and efforts in to wooing and seducing Lady Phoebe. Will Marcus succeed with his plan in seducing Phoebe and making her his?

While I enjoyed seeing Marcus charm Phoebe, her unabated fears that Marcus is only acting the gentleman became a bit tiring. I started wondering just how much more Marcus must prove his changes are genuine and lasting. In the same way Mr. Darcy is properly humbled by Elizabeth Bennet after his disastrous proposal, Marcus is properly humbled by Phoebe’s right hook and tongue-lashing.

Ms. Quinn spins quite the romantic story with just the right touch of conflict. Not only must Phoebe and Marcus learn how to manage their growing passion for each other, but they must also discover who is behind Phoebe’s attempted kidnapping. I was on the brink of sweet suspense, eagerly awaiting the climax, wondering how it would come about. I was quite tempted to skim the text so I could quickly get there. 

The Seduction of Lady Phoebe blends romance, intrigue, and suspense, creating a story I enjoyed and want more of. I am looking forward to what Ms. Quinn has in store next with Phoebe and Marcus’s friends, Anna Marsh and Sebastian Rutherford, and their secretive story. 


Connect with Ella Quinn
Read It Now!

**The Seduction of Lady Phoebe is currently FREE on Kindle and Nook
FTC Disclaimer: review copy provided by the author

6 comments:

  1. I have this one on my kindle and I look forward to reading it. I love a heroine who is bold and has unconventional accomplishments, but is still a lovely lady :) I'm glad you liked it, Jakki. It sounds like poor Marcus gets put through the wringer! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Monica. I am not sure why it is that I love those types of heroines. My guess is because they are unconventional for their time and "give it to the man" so-to-speak. Let me know what you think of it when you read it. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great read! I love a strong heroine myself! And a strong male hero who is willing to do what it takes to win the lady! I picked up the free copy! I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be looking forward to reading your review when you do read it, Candy! :)

      Delete
  3. Phoebe sounds like a great character. I'm looking forward to reading this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Phoebe. I look forward to reading your review, Anna, when you get around to reading it.

      Delete