Wednesday, August 15, 2012

JASNA Attends Decatur Book Festival!


I am all anticipation for September’s arrival. Not only does September bring the beginning of the preschool school year for my oldest child, but it also brings the Decatur Book Festival to Decatur, Georgia (just miles away from my house).

What is the Decatur Book Festival, you ask? Only the largest independent book festival in the country, with over 300 participating authors, who will be giving readings, talks, and panel discussions. I can think of no better way to discover new authors and wonderful books, meet many talented authors in person, and spend an entire week’s paycheck on savory paperbacks!

This year will be JASNA Georgia Region’s first year participating in the event. I am astounded at all of the work Barbara TillerCole and Jan Ashe have done to pull this event together and gather this unbelievable list participating Austenesque authors.

27 Austen-inspired authors will be participating at the JASNA booth! Each author in attendance will be signing books and reading excerpts from their novels. In addition, Abigail Reynolds, William Deresiewicz, and Regina Jeffers will be conducting a panel discussion on Saturday at 5 o’clock on the City Hall Stage discussing this year’s theme, Jane Austen, Then and Now. Author, Barbara Tiller Cole will be the moderator for this discussion.

Participating Authors at DBF 2012

Abigail Reynolds, Regina Jeffers, Jack Caldwell, Sharon Lathan, William Deresiewicz, Pamela Aidan, Marsha Altman, Amanda Grange, Laura Hile, Jan Hahn, Lory Lilian, Linda Wells, Jennifer Petkus, Robin Helm, Karen M Cox, Maria Grace, Barbara Tiller Cole, Cynthia Hensley, Colette Saucier, Amy Cecil, Dr. Laura Dabundo, KaraLynne Mackrory, Sally Smith O’Rourke, Susan Mason-Milks, Lori Smith, and Shannon Winslow, Katie Bailey

I cannot even begin vocalize my exuberance at the thought of meeting so many wonderful authors! I think I might be rather star-struck the entire weekend, and for once (if others are lucky), I may be rendered speechless!

With all of this said, I hope many readers and fans can make it to this event. It will be so wonderful to meet more people who share my love for Jane Austen and Austen-inspired fan fiction.

Planning on attending? The JASNA Georgia Region will hold a drawing for free one-year membership to JASNA (a $30 value)!

In closing, I have to share with you parts of my new Regency apparel. My lovely modiste, Barbara Moon, fashioned this dress out of the finest muslin to accommodate my ever-growing belly. And, I must not forget my milliner, Laura Boyle from Austentation. Without her assistance, I would still be mulling over which brooch, hairpins, and earrings to purchase. Her shop has everything a lady could want for her Regency frippery and accoutrements.

So, who will be attending? If I had a bigger house, I would gladly open up my house to my closest Austenesque friends, but unfortunately I do not. Yet, I am so very excited to finally meet two wonderful Austenesque friends, Meredith Esparza and Angie Kroll this year at DBF! 

If you could attend, which authors would you be excited to meet? Do you think you would be as star-struck as I imagine I will be?

*For more information about DBF, participating authors, authors' reading and signing schedules, or hotel information, visit Darcyholic Diversions!*

18 comments:

  1. I want to make this sooooo bad, but not sure I can make it happen this year :'( I do however hope & plan to meet Regina Jeffers the next weekend when she's in Winston at the BookMarks Festival! But how awesome would it be to be in Decatur ... Plus, you know, I haven't been through there in like *ages* ... Le Sigh.

    Lovely dress! And wait, "ever-growing belly"?! Have I missed something exciting?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Rebecca, it would be wonderful if you could make the trip! :) But I understand.
      And yes, DH & I are expecting bundle of joy #3 around Valentine's Day! :)

      Delete
  2. I think I am more sad about missing this that the AGM this year! Sounds like it will be a blast! Well, hopefully I'll make the AGM next year. Have fun, Jakki!

    Yay! on baby #3! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on, Candy! There's room for your 5th wheel in my driveway! HOA won't mind; in-laws bring their camper often. Tons of good neighbor kids and mine to keep Hailey and Jack occupied! =D

      Delete
    2. Haha! I would love to! If I were only closer! Watch out! Someday I might just take you up on that offer! :D

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see you in all your finery, Jakki!

    ReplyDelete
  4. REGINA JEFFERS is having a difficult time posting her comment, so I will post it here. Here's what she has to say:

    I will be pleased to meet Rebecca at the Bookmarks Fest on Sept. 8 and all those who are coming to Decatur. I feel very blessed to have found such loyal fans. I used to do that sort thing for authors and singers, but I never thought I would be on the receiving end. It's humbling.
    As a point of interest, several fans are asking about which titles are available at the different festivals. If anyone wishes a particular title (Jane Austen-inspired or Regency romance), please have them email me at regina@rjeffers.com. I'll bring the title with me to the festival if it is not available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jakki! I can't wait to see the whole ensemble you've been putting together, on you! It sounds like an absolutely fabulous time! I just wish MA were closer :~) Thanks for the including the link to Austentation!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! Oh, it would be so nice if MA were closer! Maybe we would be able to meet in person someday! And you are most welcome for the link to Austentation. It is such a wonderful shop! :)

      Delete
  6. I am so excited, Jakki! Love the pics. You're going to look adorable as usual! I wish I had been reading JAFF longer so I would have more books for the authors to sign!!! I discovered it less than a year ago and I am so overwhelmed! On the other hand it is a good thing otherwise I would be needing smelling salts with all these wonderful writers together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, thank you for reminding me to pack my smelling salts! So many wonderful authors in one place, I am going to need them. And let's not forget our vinaigrettes as I am sure by the end of the day there will be many smelly people due to the heat! ;)

      Delete
  7. I'm so bummed I won't be there but I have no doubt you will look lovely in your gown. I really like that brooch, too! Take lots of pictures and don't overexert yourself in your delicate condition. ;)

    I would be so fangirl-y there; probably the opposite of speechless, more like superbabbling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Monica. You will be missed. Maybe I'll get a life-size cardboard cutout of you & carry it around, then prop it up next to each author & take plenty of pictures of you with them! :) thanks, and I will be sure to take it easy in my delicate condition. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh Jakki, that is a fabulous idea! I'll have that cutout made this weekend! Haha I'll make it a much taller, thinner version, though. Monica: Extreme Makeover Cardboard Edition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I´d love to be there. It sounds so wonderful and so much fun. But I´ll celebrate by reading all your review and stories about it.
    I love your dress, Jakki! And the earrings and brooch. I´d love to see a picture of you all regency some day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katrin! You are a sweetheart! I will be sure to post plenty of pictures after DBF! :)

      Delete